masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:28 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Is there a date conflict next year between the National Senior Games and the World Championships in Finland. Does anyone know the dates for the discus and shot put at the National Senior Games in Palo Alto?

Also, it looks like they've changed the throws format in Finland next year. The trials will be on one day and the finals the next. In the past, I've tried to book a room close to the stadium so I could take a nap between the trials and finals. That might be difficult in Finland (By that time 1 Euro might be equal to $100)

Tom Fahey M60

Top Top

Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:11 pm

Master Masters Athlete

The WMA in Finland is July 26-Aug 8th, Nat Senior Games is the first 2 weeks in August. The older athletes compete in the NSG the first week, the younger - the 2nd week - in Track and Field. So -- if you have lots of money you could fly to Helsinki, compete in your event and jet back to California. The cost of that airline ticket will make the cost of a hotel room in Finland look like a bargain.

At the moment the Euro costs about 1.48 - not good but better than it has been. Meanwhile - Finland has to be one heck of an expensive country. If you want to stay close to the track - better book soon - few hotels, such as exist are expensive. The website for the LOC travel agency is not loading - there is no way to download a form from the LOC website - I do not have a clue what is going on there. it may be some time before more information is available about hotels, prices, and locations. Since there are few in Lahti - and the Finns were extolling the virtues of staying in the countryside, renting cars etc to get to the venues, I suspect that the LOC has locked up every hotel room within the not very large city of Lahti.

Top Top

Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:49 pm

Master Masters Athlete

My events in Finland will be Aug 1-4, so it looks like there is a conflict for me. I wouldn't miss going to Finland if I had to stay in St. Petersburg.

I really enjoy competing in Europe. It is like going to one of those baseball camps where you get to play with Willie Mays and Mickey Mantle (when he was alive). Many of us dreamed of participating in the Olympics but didn't have the talent or the opportunity. The world masters meet gives us a second chance to compete at a high level. To paraphrase a line from the film The Wild Bunch, "It's not the Olympics, but it will do."

Top Top

Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:00 am

Master Masters Athlete

I agree with you about the high level of competition - you could probably find a good hotel at a reasonable price in Helsinki - no need to go to St. Petersburg :) . My events are spread out over the entire meet - so 4 days does not do it for me. I will go if I can find a hotel room near the venue without having to sell the family silver :lol: It is both the high level of competition - it is also the atmosphere of international competition and the opportunity to travel to places that otherwise I might not see. And I hope to get in a trip to St. Petersburg too while I am there.

Top Top

Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:58 am

Master Masters Athlete

That's not very kind of the NSG... By the way, you can stay in Europe and end with the World Senior Games, those are in my country: www.seniorgames2009.nl

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:03 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

Discusdoc,

A USATF official who will probably be involved with the track portion of the 2009 National Senior games shared with me that the tentative plan is to divide the meet into two - three day groupings. The 65+ competing the first three days, and the 64 and under going the second three days. I believe the start date for track is August 6th, with the 5th being a practice day. So if what he told me holds true, competition for the 50-64 age groups would be the 9-11th. Conceivably you could get back in time form Finland to make the NSG. I have no connection to any of the organizations, but if I hear more I'll be sure to share it.

Top Top

Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:21 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I think this video shows the stadium at Lahti, Finland. It looks very nice. We can work on our ski jumping in between events.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryGQ8AxJvQM

Top Top

Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:46 am

Master Masters Athlete

I just looked at the YouTube video - the stadium looks great - and I am looking forward to being able to get a jump start over my age-group competitors by starting at the top of the ski-jump.
Perhaps they will have a ski-jump clinic for those of us who have not tried it.

Top Top