masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:19 pm

Master Masters Athlete

First I would like to congratulate the weight pentathlon participants that competed in New London, CT. I wish I could've been there with you but after entering, some unexpected happenings during the summer kept me away. Next year I hope to make the whole circuit: Indoor Champ., Outdoor Champ., and the Weight Pentathlon Champ.

Which brings me to my question:
I noticed there is still the bid option for 2009 for the Weight Pent. Championships. Does that mean no one has bid for the right to hold the competition? What happens if no one bids for it? Will it just be cancelded?

Thanks in advance for the input. See you in 2009!!!!!!

Top Top

Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:39 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

If I am not mistaken Bob Sager bid on it again and at the last minute they changed the bid rules on him as no one else had bid. He held it several years ago and we had a great time. Not sure if he will ever bid on it again after what they did to him. Maybe they don't like Montana as we are out of the way.

Top Top
  Profile YIM

Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:48 pm

Master Masters Athlete

To clarify the situation here is what happened and where we stand with regard to 2009 and beyond:

1. At the USATF Convention last year we had a bid from Bob Sager for the 2009 Championships as well as one from Seattle Masters for the Weight, Superweight and Ultra Weight Pentathlon. However, we were in the middle of revising the bid documents to bring them into line with USATF requirements, a process that ultimately took months longer than it needed to because the Legal Dept at USATF was in a transition. Because the bid documents that were available prior to the convention in Honolulu were not those that USATF would require, I consulted with USATF staff and they recommended that we not act on bids for 2009. As a result, as Throwing Events Subcommittee Chair I made that recommendation to the MTF Committee which voted to delay action on the bids for 2009 until the revised documents were available. Further, the MTF Committee voted to allow the Throwing Events Subcommittee to accept bids once the new documents were available and make a recommendation to the MTF Executive Committee based on bids received for 2009. Bids for 2010 and 2011, the MTF Committee decided would be accepted and presented to the Convention in Reno this December. All of this was reported in my National Masters News column at the time.

2. When the new bid documents were finally ready in about late April or May I was contacted by several people interested in bidding. In the end we received a bid for the Weight Pentathlon from a group headed by Ruth Welding and Sue Hallen to hold that meet at Illinois Benedictine College; we also received a bid to have the Weight, Superweight and Ultraweight Pentathlon from Seattle Masters; and we received a bid from Portland Masters to have all three events on one weekend at the Concordia Throws Center in Portland.

3. At the Nationals in Spokane the Subcommittee had a meeting where all the bids in hand were considered. After considerable discussion the seven members of the group present voted unanimously to recommend to the MTF Executive Committee that it accept the bid from Portland Masters to hold all three championships over the weekend of August 22-23, 2009 at the Concordia Throws Center. We expect that to be approved by the Executive Committee at its next conference call meeting, at which time it will be transmitted to Indianapolis and the 2009 meets will no longer be listed as open for bids.

The reasoning behind combining the three meets over one weekend is to reduce the number of competitions to which masters throwers must travel if they wish to compete in national championship meets. With the increasing cost of travel we have seen participation declining. The group saw this as a way of reducing costs and hopefully increasing participation.

4. Bids for the 2010 and 2011 championships are open and should be submitted a month prior to the Convention -- that is by about November 1. Here is a link to where the bid documents can be found:

http://www.usatf.org/groups/EventDirect ... enBids.asp

5. Although the Weight Pentathlon bid and the Weight, Superweight, Ultraweight Pentathlon bid are separate on the webpage, I think it is fair that the Throwing Events Subcommittee is interested in seeing bids for all three together over one weekend for 2010 and 2011 and will probably give those bids preference. I also think it is likely that if there are multiple bids for 2010 and 2011, all other things about the bids being equal, the Subcommittee, which will make a recommendation to the MTF Committee in Reno, will look more favorably on bids that move the events around the country, so bids from the west coast (especially the Pacific Northwest) are less likely to win favor than bids from other parts of the country.

If anyone wants guidance or assistance in pulling together a bid for either or both of the events for 2010 or 2011, I am ready to provide whatever advice and assistance I can.

By the way, all of this was reported verbally at the awards dinner last Saturday night in New London and is in what I submitted for the September issue of NMN.

Jerry Bookin-Weiner
USATF Masters Throwing Events Subcommittee Chair

Top Top

Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:29 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I just have one question... when you say they will hold all three on one weekend what does that mean exactly? Are you saying that they would on the 1. Weight Pentathlon 2. Superweight Pentathlon and 3. Ultraweight Pentathlon all on the same weekend? What is the difference between the three competitions? Would there be a cost to enter each or one comprehensive coast to compete in all three if you wanted? Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the information Jerry I'm glad that there are people out there like you spreading correct information and organizing meets that everyone can be proud to attend and compete in. We need more like you out there promoting our sport (Masters in particular) Thanks again.

Top Top

Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:15 am

Master Masters Athlete

Tentatively this is how it will work in Portland next year:

1. The Weight Pentathlon (which by then will most likely be called the Throws Pentathlon to bring us in line with WMA which officially changed the name of the event last year) will take place on Saturday, August 22. It will have an entry fee set by the LOC but with input from the Subcommittee.

2. The Weight Throw and Superweight Throw will be contested as separate championship events on Sunday morning, August 23. Either there will be one entry fee for each or an entry fee for both together -- that is still to be determined.

3. The Ultraweight Pentathlon will be contested as a separate championship event on Sunday afternoon, August 23. It will have an entry fee.

4. We may very well see a combined entry fee for all events over the weekend; again that is yet to be determined as are the actual entry fees. However, as a guide, the fee for the Weight Pentathlon in New London was $75; for the Weight and Superweight in Seattle on September 6 this year it is $30 for both together; and for the Ultraweight Pentathlon in Seattle on September 7 this year it is $50. Those are all "on time" entry fees. The 'late entry' fees vary, with New London having been $85; Weight and Superweight $55; and Ultraweight Pent $75. The Seattle events this year also have on-site entry fees, which are considerably higher.

I hope this clarifies.

Jerry Bookin-Weiner

Top Top