masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:19 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I have had this before - and it is "back" - with a ferritin level of 10 - and doctor's orders to take ferrous sulfate. This is not a big surprise as I have been feeling fatigued, light-headed, and generally have had a hard time running. What finally capped it off was a really slow 5k time at the CVS Providence Road Race about a week and 1/2 ago. It was warm - but not "that" warm. I had a "personal worst" for a 5k road race for this year.
Any way - apparently low iron is pretty common among runners and doctors tend not monitor it sufficiently. I noticed that my former doctor had checked the level twice in 10 years - and it was low - her take on it - "oh you are borderline anemic". End of conversation. I sort of self-treated it - and it got somewhat better but now is back down there in the basement. I finally got fed up with her and changed doctors. My new doc told me that women in particular do not feel well with borderline anemia. To which I say- you betcha - lousy - like I am dragging a sack of cement.
Just a word of advice - ask for a ferritin test - if you are having blood work done. There are lots of reasons why runners tend to have lower iron levels and not due to disease. Do a google search for some interesting articles about lower iron levels and runners - and it applies to masters and not just to kids.

Top Top

Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:25 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Runfast:

I am reassured to read your Physician has apparently cleared you of serious disorders that could result in a low iron level.

For the rest of us out there, it is VITAL to know that anemia (and a low iron level is just a part of the lab test work up for this) is a SERIOUS condition that must be fully investigated. In adults, unexplained anemia treated with just iron supplementation is very big No-No. You can mask life-threatening diseases by doing this and fail to diagnosis conditions as varied as gastrointestinal ulcers, diverticulitis, cancers, blood disorders etc. Long term, indiscriminant treatment with iron can cause liver damage.

ANY anemia in us MASTERS must be evaluated completely by your doctor. Dont take it lightly and dont let your doctor do so either!

Top Top

Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:36 am

Master Masters Athlete

Thanks Phxdoc for the reminder -
indeed a "diagnosis" of anemia" is not anything to be taken lightly - and in my case- other blood work was done and causes explored. And NO ONE should take ferrous sulfate except under a doctor's direction. What I took before was a small amount in a multi-vitamin and paid more attention to getting iron through food sources.
Apparently this is not adequate for me.
Too many doctors take lightly the amount of training older athletes do -or for that matter young ones too. Iron deficiency is a problem for many high school and college athletes - especially those who are afraid they will get fat, eat little to no red meat nor the dark meat of chicken, spinach, cook in an iron pan etc.
In my case - at my age - older than dirt - I do not eat much meat and it is more difficult to get sufficient iron from food sources.

Top Top

Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:41 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

What if your CDC lab reports indicates that your cells are taking on weird shapes due to anemia, or if you have been on medication that could interfere with iron, B12, and/or potassium absorbtion. Is it OK to start "snorting" iron supplements at will? Doctors will dismiss these questions for women unless your iron level drops lower than NASDAQ right in the middle of a recession. :cry:

Top Top
  Profile WWWYIM

Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:12 am

Master Masters Athlete

too true JumperCarty: That was exactly what was going on for more than a coupld of years - weird shaped blood cells the my former primary care doc was fascinated by - but did not link to my chronically low ferritin level. I am now "snorting" little black iron pills - under doctor's supervision - and will get a blood test soon to see what is happening. I have a new doc - young woman - who thinks that anemia is NOT good for women - unlike the former doc (also a woman) who dismissed it as not important.
I feel somewhat better - but having been out of the country traveling for 3 weeks without running a step - hard to tell if anything is better. At 2500 meters and higher - just climbing steps was difficult - never mind running.
I will ask for a blood test when I see the doc this next week - to see what is going on.

Top Top

Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:45 am

Senior Masters Athlete

runfast70, sounds like you found the perfect doctor. I think that's what I need to do. It's about time for new management. Let me know what she says about these "fascinating" blood cells. It will be interesting to hear her perspective.
I hope she can help you get things back on track. Good luck this season and let me know the blood test results. :)

Top Top
  Profile WWWYIM