masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:30 am

Junior Masters Athlete

Hi,

As a recent convert to sprinting from playing rugby, completed 1st season in the V35 age group this year. I started the season with a PB of 12.6 reduced to 12.1 for the 100m and the 200m 25.4 down to 24.6 (prefer the shorter distance.) At this stage looking to develop a strength program based on training 5 days per week (this includes 2 track sessions) as this will be my 1st winter training. Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks

Top Top

Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:36 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I think you will get some good answers from people that post here. Provide a little more information such as climate/weather in your area for the winter, facilities available to you, time committment per day, specific goal for next season, competition plans for the winter, stuff like that. Good luck.

Top Top

Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:08 am

Junior Masters Athlete

Thanks for that, ok here goes.

I Live on the south coast in the UK, intend to spend next 3 months training 2 x per week performing sprints/intervals on the hills and beach, before returning to the track in Jan. Have access to a well equipped gym at lunch time with free weights – sessions have to be short i.e. 40 mins max. Usually 3 visit a week, dependant on work and family commitments, sometimes am able to squeeze in extra sessions. I have an excellent coach his intention is for me to race indoors this winter.
I would like to be able to break down the training and see for myself each phase – hope that makes sense! My goal next year is to be competitive over the 100m, so running sub 12 secs is my main objective. Thanks again.

Top Top

Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:16 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

Here is an interesting program, that I'm sure you can adapt to your needs:

http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/269/
It's very modest title is "The Holy Grail in Speed Training"...

Top Top

Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:50 pm

Master Masters Athlete

On the Barry Ross article.

We had a long discussion about this when this forum was started.

Works pretty good. Do the dead, plyos and that is all you need.
I do a version for leg strength.

Top Top

Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:12 am

Junior Masters Athlete

Thanks for advice guys, looks ideal for what I am after. I just have a couple of questions about the article/program.
The strength program suggests consecutive weights days; did you have easy/hard sessions to allow adequate recovery? Has your strength to weight ratio improved as your body weight dropped?

Top Top

Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:11 am

Master Masters Athlete

I always give myself and the people I train 48 hours between weight room workouts. Seems to help.

Top Top

Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:13 am

Master Masters Athlete

The trick is the 5-minute rest between the deads. I do doubles at 85% 1RM, 2-3 times. I skip the plyos during any time there are a bunch of meets. Three times a week, by the way.

Daily, drop down to 80% doubles, 2 times. You'll feel renewed.

Top Top

Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:28 am

Senior Masters Athlete

JHA wrote:
Hi,

As a recent convert to sprinting from playing rugby, completed 1st season in the V35 age group this year...

Hey JHA! Good to see another man from the rugger world on here! I am a 33 y/o recent returnee to track after having played Rugby (fullback) and Soccer ("sweeper") for the past 19 years (with some hockey thrown in). I just started my track season with my former club last Saturday. I am not sure how fast I am right now but a sub-12 would be a good starting goal for me as well. Anyway, welcome - I look forward to hearing of your progress.

Top Top

Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:53 am

Junior Masters Athlete

Starting my winter training this week, so will incorporate your suggestions into my strength program 3 times a week – ideal for lunch time workouts. I think I am looking forward to all those dead-lifts… Thanks

Transporter – I inherited good explosive speed and acceleration from playing rugby, so up to about 10-30m ok - after that it all goes down hill...ha ha

Top Top

Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:23 am

Master Masters Athlete

I enjoyed much success this past season using the principles and exercises that Barry recommends. I lifted 2x per week and ran 2 to 3x per week. I lifted as heavy as felt comfortable and got better and better at "reading my body". I definitely got stronger, even as I dropped a few pounds. Maybe next year I'll be even faster?

M45 PRs: 100: 12.04, 400: 54.83, 800: 2:23.5, 5K: 19:27

Top Top

Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:44 am

Junior Masters Athlete

Hi,

Week 4 of new regime. Working well so far, dropped a couple lbs in weight, find I am generally more rested and recovered for next days’ running/interval session. I have had to split the resistance work into an M-W-F split (Wednesday easy session) as found it quite hard going training consecutively as the program suggested. Perhaps this will change once my body adapts to this regime.

Top Top