masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:21 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I'm 48, and 2008 was my third year of masters competition. My sprint and hurdle times are still improving however I'm very aware that there will come a time in the not-too-distant future when I will no longer have "Masters PRs" and will start looking at "Age-Group PRs." In other words, I'll start to slow down. I hope to be able to accept that with grace and not rage against the inevitable. For those of you who have been in competition longer than me, when did you find this slowdown start to occur for you? I'm sure it's a combination of age and number of competition years.

As for now, I'm just going to enjoy the ride.... :D

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:24 pm

Master Masters Athlete

In the high jump I had my top after 5 years, then it started going down. The world record decline is around 2 cm a year but mine is 1.3 cm a year. So that can be a goal too: try to slow downd slower than the mean master...
I started to really learn the javelin 3 1/2 year ago and am still improving a lot. In the technical disciplines this maybe is easier than in the runs, although I had my best 200 after 7 years.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:10 pm

Journeyman Masters Athlete

Hello Liz,

When I first returned to track and field at age 45, I was told that there was a 3 yr. period where I could expect to see my performances improve. My experience back then seemed to fit that curve........plus or minus a year or two. I believe that there are obvious variables that also have to be taken into consideration such as; the curve would be longer if a difficult skill/technique needed to be mastered (hurdles, LJ, PV). I would think that the 3 year curve would apply more consistently with pure running events such as sprints or middle distance. I am sure that there are obvious aberrations to this, and I hope that you prove to be one of them. Good luck and see you on the track.

Top Top