masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:11 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

Big day Sat. Oct. 25th Inducted in to the Sports Hall of Fame in Clarington Ontario. Cocktails 6:00 to 7:30 then the piper piped in inductees. Guest speaker after dinner was Canada's Hockey hero Paul Henderson, and I had to follow that !!!!! Speech went well escpecially my final comment- "ten days after returning from Italy in 2007 with five gold and one bronze medal, I had a heart attack, my family, my friends and fellow athletes blamed it on the Italian women"--loud applause !!!!

We, the Throwers Club, check out -www.throwersclub.ca- have five meets a year, at the last meet I commented to our Club president that I did not do so well this year. At the annual awards dinner while Bill was presenting me with my third gold medal, he commented that I had said I had a bad year!!! Then I proceeded to pick up another gold and silver medal. Not bad for an old man about to be 87, who suffered a heart attack Sept 28 07.
I thought I would relax for a week or two-- WHO ME??? Today I did my first skating for this winter season

Next year I was really going to take it easy, some sports, some fishing and what have you, some yoyo came along and wants to do a documentary on six Master Athletes and invited me in. This will last till after the World Meet in Finland--- MY GOD another year of slavery !!!!!
One of these days !!!!!

Garry

AND, he spoke modestly---

Having won the Latvian Cup for six consecutive years, highest points in the weight pentathlon, age graded, and the Throwers Club Trophy for seven consecutive years, maximum points a year, for five meets a year, he modestly is bowing out to leave others to compete for them. So the club set up a Hall of Fame and dumped me into it to get rid of me !!!!

I write my own articles, but was speaking rhetorically when I said "he spoke modestly.
:roll:
Riccione Garry

Top Top