masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:27 am

Master Masters Athlete

I am planning on competing at my first championship meet in Oshkosh, Wisconsin and I was thinking back to state meets and junior olympics and a question popped into my head. The meet starts on July 9, 2009 but I plan on being there probably the 7th. As far as practicing while in Oshkosh (or nearby) what do you (I) do or plan to do? I'm not going to be having full blown practices but I would want a ring to go through and be able to do some releases while I'm up there beofre the meet starts. I know as a coach and athlete we always found a nearby high school sometimes but I have been places where they open up the competition site for practice when not in use by the meet. I am curious just so I know what to expect and plan for next year. Thanks in advance for your input.

Top Top

Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:19 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I'm sure someone else can answer this better than I can but I know that in Spokane, people were able to pick up packets on Wednesday during the day and I remember hearing the track was open that day as well. But I could have heard wrong.

Top Top

Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:12 am

Master Masters Athlete

In Spokane the hammer ring was almost always empty. It was also, unlike discus, off the main track so you could use it for practice. I am certain you could have thrown there before events started. That is hopefully the case at Oshkosh. Could look for local middle schools etc also. Many of the local middle schools surprisingly enough have rings to throw from. At that time they'll be empty and you can throw on their fields without too much chance of somebody hollering at you. The high schools will scream if you put big hammer holes in the high school football field.

Top Top