masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:35 pm

Master Masters Athlete

When I was in high school our school's weight room had something called either a Reel Runner or a Real Runner --I don't remember which. We all called it Red Death. It was an innocent-looking machine, like a stationary bike without a seat and it had a forward tilt. The foot pedals had leather straps that buckled around your feet to hold them stable. The handles were stationary. You leaned forward and gripped the handles, and then pumped your legs up and down as fast as humanly possible while your sadistic coach gradually increased the resistance.

I remember doing 10 second, 20 second, then 30 second bursts at increasingly higher resistance levels and once my feet were finally unstrapped I would stagger around the weight room like a punch-drunk boxer. Does anyone remember such a machine?

Good times.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:39 am

Master Masters Athlete

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THZDABEYtc4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIU7Z7yX ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ55Mq6l7dk

Good times?

If you like pain and torture! :roll:

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:32 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Yes!!!! That was it!!!

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:19 am

Journeyman Masters Athlete

It seems everyone agrees it hurts to work out on it but what does anyone know about how effectively it develops an athlete's sprinting ability?

- master

Top Top

Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:24 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

Ouch! Sounds like a device thats used to extract information for the war against terrorist attacks to assist the CIA. "I know nothing..." Sgt Scholtz.

Top Top
  Profile WWWYIM

Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:01 am

Senior Masters Athlete

I'm a high school strength and conditioning coach and we used to have the plate-loaded version of this machine. Its called the Power Runner. I didn't like it at all and ended up selling it. A coach prior to me getting here is the one who bought it originally. There were a couple of things that I didn't like about it. For one, the weight has a tendency to fly up on its own, once you get get half-way though the range of motion. For something like this, you want to be exerting force through the entire range, to full extension. And because it pivots at the top, the path the the feet travel in, is not the same as a running motion. The other negative thing is that it doesn't adjust at all for different body sizes. Shorter people especially have a hard time with this machine because they don't fit it correctly and end up with a limited range of motion. I personally wouldn't waste my time using this machine. And I certainly would waste my money buying one. To be fair, I haven't used the hydraulic version. That might be slightly better for something like this, especially if you have resistance in both directions. Regardless though, squats, lunges, and Olympic lifts are all better options.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:35 pm

Master Masters Athlete

During my senior track season, my coach decided to be innovative.
He made a bar to hold that attached to the back of his truck.
We would hold onto the bar and run as he accelerated to 25 or more miles per hour.

He said that this should help us open up our stride.

It did do that.

It also strained every muscle from the hips down.
We ran a very slow meet that week.

I think he tried it once or twice before he decided that it made us slower in the meets since we could barely hobble.

Top Top
  Profile WWW