masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:23 am

Junior Masters Athlete

What is the current ruling on using a heavier implement than mandated by one's age group? I'm in my 60s and personally like the 600 gm javelin (less shoulder pain) and 1 kg discus (better discus spin) but I know someone in his 70s who does not want to move down in weight. Is there a different ruling for local meets vs. national meets? Thanks.

Top Top

Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:54 pm

Master Masters Athlete

The rules for the throwing implements give a minimal weight and no maximum. But unfortunately the minimal and maximal length are also given and there is no overlap between different weights. So you are obliged to use that one weight...
We have had discussion around this more often. Part of the throwers would like to use a heavier (and longer) javelin, some would not mind to use the open class weight for their whole life.
For safety it would be best to abandon the 400g at all (women over 60, men over 80). The tip of that jav is just behind my glasses, and for an older thrower I know the tip will be far behind his ear. He fortunately is not yet 80. I have commented about this to WMA but never had a reaction.

Top Top
  Profile WWW