masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:19 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

Just got my hip replaced,(55 years old) everything going very well. Had been sprint training 4-5 days a week prior to surgery. Will probably be able to resume sprint training in June. Will not jog anymore, but the sprint training 10-14 100 meters-4 to 5 days a week was fun, felt great and is not the pounding of the jogging. Anyone got any comments and or similar experience(s). Anything would be helpful, thanks.

Top Top

Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:51 pm

Master Masters Athlete

http://www.masters-athlete.com/public/323.cfm

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:40 am

Junior Masters Athlete

Thanks for the response Ken. Dennis

Top Top

Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:35 am

Junior Masters Athlete

Hi there, the link no longer works, but what was the response? I am facing hip replacement or hip resurfacing. Unlikely I will ever sprint again, but I can dream, right?

Top Top

Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:53 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I would also like to see that response, but the link is dead. At 37, I am looking at my last nationals. My hip needs resurfaced or replaced so I have decided this is the final summer I will deal with the intense pain involved needed to train, not to mention the rapid decline in my performances. Anyone with similar stories, please expand.

Top Top

Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:29 am

Junior Masters Athlete

Hi Guys. It's been two and one half years. I resumed working out in mid May of 09. My workouts have consisted of stretching for about 20 minutes and then going to an all weather playing field or artificial track. I will typically do 12-16 100 meter or yard sprints. I say sprint but obviously I work my way into it gradually. For me and I stress for me, my heart gets a good workout and I avoid jogging which my Dr. said to avoid with the hip.
Surgery-I had a large ball Titanium-Cobalt hip put in, I was unfortunately part of the DuPuy hip recall, but fortunately, my hip is ok. I do not know if all metals have been stopped and now it is back to plastic or ceramic.I did not have it glued as younger people will live longer and as such, it is better if the bone heals naturally around the new hip, and therefore there is not the loosening.My hip should last my life,(I am 57) if not and it is not a loosening issue, the Dr. will go back in and replace the upper part of the prosthetic.
Rehab- is key, I worked out daily beyond my 3 times a week at the clinic. I wore ankle weights and walked 2-3 miles a day and did 100 reps of each of the prescribed exercises that I was given-it is well worth it to get the muscles back to strength.
I can tell you its been great-once you wake up and realize it's over, you can go back to a normal life. I rarely think "I have an artifical hip". I put it off as long as I could-2 years-hip injections, etc.-but once everything else stopped any relief-you get the surgery. I did interview several sugeons until I found someone I was comfortable with. I asked if they ever had any infections, if they had patients that walked evenly(Key) after surgery, number of redos and why, board certified and number of replacements(and types of hips used) If a guy looked neat and organized, I liked him because it seems so much of that surgery is attention to detail-especially when lining you up to walk without a limp-don't want a guy huslting for a 1pm tee time-not that all surgeon golfers are bad. The surgical nurses disliked my guy because he had a reputation of being tough-I liked that.
Resurface-my guy didn't do it, and I was not comfortable with it-didn't want another surgery down the road-was willing to gamble mine would last my life. Doesn't mean it's not good, just was not right for me.
I hope this all helps, feel free to email me back. I'd be glad to share anything else with you-I can say, when it's time-pull the trigger-it's worth it(resurface or replacement)you get your life back.

Top Top

Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:44 am

Junior Masters Athlete

One last thing. My replacement was the result of an injury to the hip many years ago. As such, I don't have an arthritis issue in my body. If you have an arthritis issue in general, you may want to see first if your body can tolerate the running. I spoke to one guy who had arthritis all over his body and as a result, his new hip was attached to weak bone to begin with.You have to be careful with that and I am sure your surgeon can advise you.

Top Top

Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:17 am

Junior Masters Athlete

Thanks for the update Dennis. I am 52, and degenerative arthritis in the hip has done me in. I will be getting a cortisone shot to stave off the inevitable.

Resurfacing looks to me like a good option, although I have heard mixed reviews. The surfacehippy website certainly makes it appealing. http://www.surfacehippy.info/
Many inspirational stories there. But alas, like most adult runners, the runners are distance runners.

Dennis, you're a hard worker - do you do any plyometrics? Do you have visions of competing in the future?

Top Top