masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:07 am

Master Masters Athlete

Anyone else having as difficult a time filling in a racing schedule leading up to Outdoor Nationals as I am?

Had this problem last year as well with a big gap in races on the track. Perhaps it's less of an issue back East?

My current plan is:
Saturday, April 11
Saturday, May 2nd
Thursday, May 14th??? very up in the air with having to get off of work
--big gap here which is a problem but can't find meets for masters--
Saturday, June 13th (Portland Track Festival)
Saturday, June 27th (NW Region Champs/Oregon Champs as part of Portland Masters)
Friday, July 10th- Outdoor Nationals in Oshkosh, WI

Potentially 6 weeks without racing on the track in the middle. Far from ideal.

No matter where you are, share your tentative racing schedule and what you've done if you have the same issue I do.

Top Top

Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:55 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I am guessing that I won't have the time or $$ do hit Outdoor Nationals this year, which is depressing since I will move up an age group the week before the meet begins. In a typical outdoor season I don't get a meet in until the second week of June. Even on my best years, I can only hit one college meet in March, one in April, and a random open meet in May (because of coaching). If I were able to get to outdoors, I would most likely try to run meets the second, third, and fourth weeks of June. That's not enough for me, my best performances usually come after 6 or 7 meets. I feel your pain (only figuratively - I'm not crazy enough to steeple!). Best of luck.

Top Top

Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:38 am

Master Masters Athlete

Well, I think if there are no meets you can compete in during that time period, you have two options.

First - get together with one or two other masters runners and do a few time trials. They could be shorter or longer that you race for either speed or endurance.

Second - run one or two 5K road races. I would say choose a small race, a scenic race, or a fun race.

Here is the link to the racecenter which lists the different local races:
RaceCenter

Here is the link to the local races for May:
Running events Oregon - May

The three races that stand out at me are:
(Scenic)
Run for the Hills - Sun, May 31, 2009 - Corvallis, OR
8k scenic Trail Run through Bald Hill park

(Small)
Cannon Beach Elementary School Walk/Run - Sat, May 23, 2009 - Cannon Beach, OR
Enjoy beautiful views while running out and back

(Fun)
KeyBank Starlight Run - Sat, May 30, 2009 - Portland, OR
31st anniversary of the city's largest Fun Run and Costume Contest. The 5k route travels most of the Rose Festival Starlight Parade route downtown Portland.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:36 pm

Journeyman Masters Athlete

I have mentioned in other posts that I always finding it challenging to get enough masters meets in without doing extensive travel ( I live about 2 hours outside New York City)

I think for distance track runners, road racing offers something of an alternative. But for events such as the Steeplechase (Which I believe is your event mellowjohnny no?) Jumping events, Field and Sprints etc, it can be a real challenge to get in meets and/or practice with some regularity unless you have regular access to a track (such as coaching, or a track club)

Unless you have the experience, I think it must be a real nervewracking to do well in a championship meet with only a few races in a season under your belt.

Top Top

Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:15 pm

Master Masters Athlete

True, but for the steeplechase, you can usually find hurdles left around the track during track season, which you can set up at steeple height to practice the steeple form. Too bad the summer all-comer track meets don't start usually around until July or so.

Top Top
  Profile WWW