masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:34 am

Junior Masters Athlete

I have a ways to go performance wise, but have an interest in participating in some over 40 running events (I'm currently 39 and just started running). I happen to like maybe the 400, 200, 100 races or possibly relays of these events.

I have no idea what, when, where, how much, and maybe most importantly......how good.

Any insight or direction would be appreciated!

Top Top

Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:52 am

Senior Masters Athlete

I would look for a local Masters club - they can help with training facilities, coaching, and the other 3 runners for relays! Starting here is a good start - someone should be able to point you in the right direction for a local club.

You can also search the USTAF site for club information. This site also has a section which lists masters meets(as well as lots of other good info).

Good luck!

Here is a link to some clubs in Michigan:
http://www.usatf.org/clubs/search/info. ... nNumber=19

Top Top
  Profile WWWYIM

Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:31 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

Well, it doesnt look like this is an "easy" thing to get involved with. Looks like a lot of travel would be involved if one wished to compete.

If anyone has any info on clubs or orginazations in West Michigan.....any info would be great!

Thanks!

Top Top

Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:24 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

It really is fairly easy to get started - If you have access to a track you can begin training. Meets depend on what area you are in - but there are all comers meets all over that accept anyone!

Top Top
  Profile WWWYIM

Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:50 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

Quote:
Meets depend on what area you are in - but there are all comers meets all over that accept anyone!

I just started running at a local track and took a stop watch to start timing myself (400, 200, 100) I have a ways to go in order to compete, but think I can get there if I work at it for a bit. But the idea of competing against guys my age is intriguing and sounds like it could be fun. Need to see how fast the numbers improve for starters I guess.

There are planty of 3k, 5k, 10k runs but I am more interested in sprints/mid distance.

I am in West Michigan, and the link up above didnt show much in my area. Reality is I better see if I can stick with this and improve. If I get good enough I'll look into competing. :lol:

Top Top

Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:57 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Lanky - First off congratulations on picking up (or returning to) running. My thoughts are to take it a bit slow. The body is more prone to injury than when we were in our 20s. More importantly, it also takes longer to heal. Translation: if you hurt yourself by trying too hard you're going to miss out on competing in some meets and could even miss a whole season. I'd try to attain a good base by doing a variety of "longer" runs (maybe 3-5 mile runs) along with some shorter stuff (say 1,000m to 1 mile) . Do this for at least a few months if not more before you begin sprinting. If your body isn't already in good running shape and you try to sprint: injury risk. I could go on ad nauseum but will stop there. As for info, check with your local running stores to see if they know of any masters groups.
Good luck!

M45 PRs: 100: 12.04, 400: 54.83, 800: 2:23.5, 5K: 19:27

Top Top

Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:25 am

Junior Masters Athlete

Interesting you speak of injuries. My first attempt I did a 400, 200, and 100 after a short bike ride the track (like maybe a mile). Couple days later my calves are a little sore but not much worse than I expected. I have never been a big distance guy as I have Asthma, but I am in shape due to lifting, jump rope, Biking, Hiking, etc...

The GF only did a 400 and a 200 and she has a nice bump/soreness in her calf muscle.

We are taking a couple days off before we try again. I havent run in so long I basically jogged the 400 as I wasnt even sure I could run a full lap. LOL When I did the 100, about halfway thru I started laughing as my Quads started cramping up on me so bad!

Top Top

Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:07 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Here is a link to an article on sprint training from Peter Magill's blog "Younger Legs For Older Runners".

Oscar Peyton's advice on preparation for sprints ... ALL Season Work-Out

I hope you find it helpful.

Old Man PR's (40 - 49 --- 800 - 2:05 / 1500 - 4:28 ) (50 - 54 --- 800 - 2:18 / 5000 - 18:23 / 10K 38:45 / 1/2 Marathon 1:29 / Marathon 3:23)

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:49 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

Quote:
Make sure you jog 800 to 1600 meters before Speed Training.

Looks like this is mainly what I need to add. Like I said I did basically jog the 400 (took me 1:33 :lol: ) I want to get down to a minute or under. Anyway, so maybe I'll do a couple of those before sprints next time. Or work my way up to jogging 2 to 4 laps before doing any sprints.

Thanks for all the help.

Top Top