masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Fri May 01, 2009 5:03 am

Junior Masters Athlete

I am 62 and brand new to Masters Track. I have not yet competed, but am training to compete in the 400 Meter run. Can anyone suggest a brand and model of track shoes for me to purchase. I have never owned or worn tarck shoes.

Top Top

Sun May 03, 2009 11:55 am

Journeyman Masters Athlete

Go on-line to a catalog such as Eastbay and look in the "Closeout" section. Since your are just starting out, I would suggest that you stay with a middle distance shoe (often designated with a MD in its name). Don't be overly concerned about the brand right now. As you stay in the sport, you will have the opportunity to find that "perfect" pair of spikes. Welcome and a wish of good luck from this 60 year old track rat.

Top Top

Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:43 am

Junior Masters Athlete

I guess I can't suggest a brand and model of track shoes for you to purchase because I have never owned or worn track shoes... but I guess their is a site that is for shoes...

Last edited by julyshoead on Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:04 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

If you have extra wide feet, then check out the New Balance brand. If not, then I'd look at Nike, Asics, or Puma.

When you buy your shoes, wear the socks you are going to compete in when you try them on. And I would try them on in a store if possisble.
I compete in a pair of thin, cotton/polyester socks. Steer clear of thick cotton socks as they will absorb lots of moisture and your feet will then slip & slide and perhaps cause blisters. Try to get an excellent fit, one that feels a little tight, with very little extra length in the toes. And keep your toenails trimmed short!

When you buy them, make sure you get a spike wrench & extra spikes of varying length, so if you want to work out on grass in your spikes you'll have the longer spikes.

You might get two types of shoes, a light one for competition with a thin heel, and another heavier pair with thicker heels so your workouts won't stretch your Achilles tendon day after day. It is very easy to injure yourself in Master's Track.

Welcome to Master's!!

Top Top