masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:38 am

Junior Masters Athlete

Hi,

I am about to undergo Bilateral Fasciotomy for chronic Compartment Syndrome next week, I would be interested in hearing from others who will have undergone this type of surgery, in particular re-hab, training volume etc

As a new convert to the Masters at the age of 37 , I am aiming to run in the 35-39 age group, over the 60m and 100m.

Thanks

Top Top

Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:34 am

Junior Masters Athlete

Looks like it's been a while, JHA, How did the surgery for the compartment syndrome go? Were there any issues, and how has the running been since then?

Top Top

Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:29 am

Junior Masters Athlete

Hi – apologies posted this a while ago. The surgery was relatively quick and pain free, this included an overnight stay at the hospital. Post surgery re-hab included, sports massage and physiotherapy and gym time– all of which was particularly painful lol. I returned to running approximately 8 weeks later, just jogging and light runs, with a return to competitive sprinting 4 months later. The surgery was a success in the terms of now able to run without the chronic pain; however the downside has been the large amount of scar tissue which still requires lots of massage. Hoping after 2 operations on both legs, I will be able to complete a full winter and race fully fit! Still lots of time – only 40 next year…

Top Top