masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:32 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Has anyone out there been told they need a hip replacement? If so, I am curious to learn some of the details of your story. I am a 35-year old sprinter who has been competing basically continually since grade school. I have been having hip pain for the last two or three years. This past summer I finally went to get it checked. I have been to 5 different doctors. Four of them said I need a hip replacement - congenital arthritis in both hips (although the left hip is the only one that hurts and the x-ray made the right hip look much worse than the left hip). The orthopedic surgeon I saw asked me when I wanted to schedule my surgery. I haven't been back to him. The doctor I am sticking with is a doctor of physical therapy and has been treating me with some exercises and manipulations that are helping. Regardless, I am still very limited in my range of motion on certain days. Acceleration is especially difficult. It is very frustrating. Any advice, insight, thoughts, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Top Top