masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:40 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I had an ultrasound on Monday and there is still a tear in the gastroc muscle. I must of really done a good job tearing it. Still about 4-6 weeks out from any sprint work. I got on the treadmill for a 5 minute jog though. Boy did that feel great.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:29 am

Master Masters Athlete

Do you use a foam roller or a massage stick?
These can help you work on your muscles before and after you workouts.

I am just getting over a grade two strain on my left calf, and have purchased a stick and a foam roller to help message and work out the trigger points in my muscles.

If you go through the link at younger legs for older runners, you can get a 10% discount from runningwarehouse on these.

foam roller

Travel stick

Also, you can make your own incline board to do your static stretches on.
Here are the specs for building one from the Bill Dellinger book: "winning running".

Old Man PR's (40 - 49 --- 800 - 2:05 / 1500 - 4:28 ) (50 - 54 --- 800 - 2:18 / 5000 - 18:23 / 10K 38:45 / 1/2 Marathon 1:29 / Marathon 3:23)

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:25 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

In addition to Active Release Technique and Graston, I have found this self treatment very helpful:"F.A.S.T: Facilitated Active Stretch Technique

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Muscle ... 1416562566

Muscle Medicine: The Revolutionary Approach to Maintaining, Strengthening, and Repairing Your Muscles and Joints
by Rob DeStefano, Joseph Hooper, Bryan Kelly

http://www.muscleinjuries.com/

Top Top

Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:42 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Hey guys,

Thanks for the info. Runandsew, I have a stick and a foam roller. I have used them a little but the calf is still too tender for intense rolling. do you usually use them before or after your workouts? I do not have the calf stretch box though. I have been using one at PT. I think I am going to make one from the plans you sent. Thanks.

Kakuryu, I checked out that book and I think I am going to order it. Looks pretty awesome. Also, could you share the exercises you do for the hips and glutes before you do intense running? I think I have that same problem.

I am now on a running program from my PT. I will start jogging 5-8 min every other day and will do this for about 2 weeks, then I will start incorporating some 50m strides at about 70% effort.

I never thought it would take this long to come back from a muscle tear. I do feel I have learned a little more about my body and about my training. I guess you would call that progress.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:45 am

Senior Masters Athlete

Tony,

I go through a warmup of at least 30 minutes before any running at 85% or above effort; and at least 15 minutes prior to lifting.

I start every workout with mobility drills - most of which can be found in Cressey's products (Assess & Correct or Magnificent Mobility).

http://ericcressey.com/products

I also do traditional track drills and accelerations before running intervals or repeats. All of my injuries have been preceded by signals (soreness, tightness, or fatigue) that I simply ignored. I've become careful to either address the signals through manual techniques, longer warmup/mobility; or just plain patience (terminating the workout and allowing more recovery.)

One of the most neglected aspects of athlete training is the mid-torso. It tends to be boring, uncomfortable and isn't really an awesome demonstration of feats of strength. Many think they can get away with a few sets of swiss ball crunches tossed in at the end of a workout. That's wrong. It just isn't enough. Bill Collins prescribes DAILY mid-torso work building up to extremely high volume and intensity as the foundation of every athlete's program. Aaron Thigpen also emphasizes high volume abdominal training. Generally, I've found my stability and strength improves in both lifting and running when I give more attention to my mid-torso.

I've recently incorporated kettlebell swings and snatches in my lift training. It's had a noticeable effect on my mid-torso, hip strength and mobility.

Top Top

Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:32 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I have only had the massage stick and foam roller for a month now. I am using them several times a day, both before and after I run. Once I get back to race shape, I am not sure how much I will use them, but it will probably be at least once a day, especially on the calf area.

For my core muscles, I have a roman chair to do crunches and back extensions.

Old Man PR's (40 - 49 --- 800 - 2:05 / 1500 - 4:28 ) (50 - 54 --- 800 - 2:18 / 5000 - 18:23 / 10K 38:45 / 1/2 Marathon 1:29 / Marathon 3:23)

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:01 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I use the foam roller on my back, quads and especially my IT band. I guess now I will do more calf work with it as well.

I found out during PT that I needed to do more balance training, core training and upper leg strenthening. Before the injury, I was doing some weight training and a lot of running.

5 more minutes of slow jogging today. I will now take a day off and then up to 8 min. Slow ride back.

I looked at my original post and I said I would be out for 3 weeks. Well, it has been 3 weeks plus 3 weeks and I am just starting to jog.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:54 am

Master Masters Athlete

The balancing exercise with the eyes closed is fun, how long can you keep balanced before you have to grab on to something?

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:18 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Found this video on self calf massage:
http://running.competitor.com/2009/08/videos/monday-minute-calf-self-massage_4588

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:38 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Hey runandsew,

I tip over every time I try to close my eyes with one leg up. I don't think I will ever max that. Great video on the baseball roll on the calf. Never thought of that one. Thanks.

T

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:44 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Today was a 10 min jog and then 8 x 40m strides at 60-70%. The calf is still a little weak but almost back.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:11 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Today I started out jogging 800m and doing some dynamic movements. I did 2 x 50m at about 85%, 2 x 100m at about 75% and then 2 x 200m at about 60%.

That was the first time to run that distance since jan 25th. I felt winded and heavy. The time off has gotten me a little out of shape but there was no pain in the calf - that is key!

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:58 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

I like many of you have had the issue with tight calfs and really enjoyed reading these posts, as I turned up my intensity, running times have improved but so has the soreness. At 50 this was going to be my year!
So I stretched a little more but not enough, was running fartleks this week, just thought I would run through the calf stiffness, stop and stretch after this last interval - then POP! My left calf. As I limped home, I thought maybe a strain, stay off a couple of days maybe a week then back to training.
I went to my sports Dr. today, now that my calf has turn completely black and blue. Results - Major Grade 2 tear, out 10-12 weeks. Won't be starting to run again until June. This stinks, all the hard work over the past several months for what, just to be sidelined for the next 3 months doing PT.

So PLEASE listen to your body don't try to push through it, learn from my mistakes.

I'll be back, but much smarter. The stretch is as important as the run, maybe even more for us old guys.
I think it's time to find out what this YOGA thing is all about.
Happy Trails

Top Top

Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:57 am

Master Masters Athlete

Hey Dadruns,

Your post sounds very similar to my situation. I had turned up the intensity to get ready for the indoor season and to set a few PRs this year when my calf went out. I did not feel any soreness in my calf though before it tore but I am sure I would have ignored it at the time anyway.

Your Dr is correct about the time. I was injured on Jan 25th and still not back to running. I had to cut back on the sprinting I was starting to do because my calf just did not feel right. I guess I am learning to listen to my body a little better.

Good luck with the rehab and keep us posted.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sat May 01, 2010 7:03 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Today I was able to do 4x50 at about 80%, 2x100 at about 70% and then 2x200 at about 60%. No problems with the calf but I am really out of shape. It will take a while to build back the endurance.

The good thing about coming back slow is that I am working on my sprinting technique. Before the injury, I found out I was not running with proper biomechanics, so now I can work on that before I get back to running fast.

Tony

Top Top
  Profile WWW