masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:01 pm

Journeyman Masters Athlete

I know the mid-foot push off well. You and I share many of the same frustrations. My lower leg is still not strong enough to handle the pounding of consistent training.

[*]Have you considered reducing your intensity/and or volume? I have paid close attention to my foot strike to gauge when I have had enough.

[*]Have you Varied your running surface? Short grass has helped me considerably.

If you really feel you up to it, go to the all-comers meet at monthend "unprepared" and savor the fact that you can participate. This is what I did in the WMAs and came away with a few surprises.

You and I can worry about competing later...

Top Top

Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:08 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I ran my first 5k race today on the Nike campus. It was a slow 24:16 but I finished. I really wanted to stop at 1.5-2miles but kept going. I'm glad I didn't stop. Achilles is okay but my calf will be sore tomorrow.

What's your next race, Walter?

Top Top

Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:17 am

Good stuff Fidel, congratulations on the finish. What made you want to stop at the 1.5-2 mile mark? Was it tightness in the calf? Did your foot strike change significantly after this point?

Make sure you ice really well. I've been icing my sore lower legs in an ice bath at 10 minute alternating intervals it KILLS, but it has helped immensely. I use a Kingsford Charcoal bin (thick black plastic with one handle and a blue detachable lid) that I picked up at Home Depot for about $16.

My final race this season is the Pride Meet in San Francisco on 8/13. It's a masters meet, but I think it will end up more like an all-comers. My aim is to finish this season healthy, rest and plan for several weeks, then begin my general prep work for next outdoor season. I was 10+ lbs. overweight this season and my fitness was/is atrocious.

I move up to M45 next year and the entire group is FAST! That said, I intend to be very competitive.

What is next for you?

Top Top

Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:00 am

Master Masters Athlete

I move into the M45 as well next year.

On the 5k, the reason I wanted to stop was that I was sucking big time air. I had only run up to 1 mile in training so 3.1 was the farthest I've run. My stride did change a bit...i wasn't getting the spring after 2 miles that I was getting earlier in the race.

Track season pretty much ended here so I'll jump into a few mile races and a 5k now and then. Back to track training in the fall.

BTW, I'll be at 8 months post-op on 8/3.

Top Top

Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:57 pm

Wow, 8 months post-op on Wednesday. Congratulations! You will be at a year in a blink. You are certainly progressing quickly.

Looking back, does it not seem like far less? I do recall how "dark" the early days were. This past Saturday was my one-year anniversary.

I try to be mindful, but my achilles is almost an afterthought. It seems that it is the rest of my body that I have to worry about.

Keep pushing, but stay patient and stay well.

Top Top

Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:12 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I was thinking about this today during my distance workout. My achilles is still NOT an afterthought. I wish it was. I constantly think about it. I don't have the flexibility or strength back. Also, I was practicing some standing starts and the first couple of steps are clumsy because of the aforementioned flexibility and strength. I am thankful I can do most anything now but I'm not at my usual 12.4/25sec level. More like 14/30sec.

But, now it's the end of track season and I won't miss it as much. Time to get in indoor shape now.

Top Top

Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:26 pm

Fidel, my starts were clumsy all year and I have stopped worrying about my achilles. Your flexibility and strength will return. You are doing all the right things...except maybe when you did those block starts...so stay positive.

Though I expected a better time, I ran a very smooth 100M at Pride Meet in San Francisco this past weekend. Two hours later, I discovered the best thing about an achilles tendon rupture: it makes a hamstring strain seem like a minor nuisance. Seriously.

I felt my right ham flutter coming out of the turn in the 200 so I shut down, and jog-walked to the finish, dead last @ 40+ seconds with a stupid grin on my face. As I type, I have some soreness and bruising (about 9 inches) behind my knee extending to the top 1/3 of my outer calf. With the season end and the planned break, I am confident everything will be just fine.

It may sound silly, but...all things considered...I have had a decent season. Before you know it, so will you.

Top Top

Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:45 pm

Master Masters Athlete

So, Walter, I'm playing softball now... :shock:

I needed it. It's an activity which makes me move without thinking and favoring the achilles. I've been able to run out of the box, run after flyballs, run around bases, etc. I can do it. The other day, I had to run from 1st to 3rd and the speed came out! That was satisfying!

Track workout tomorrow. Maybe block starts. I will document the occasion.

Top Top

Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:04 pm

Master Masters Athlete

anyone see Ryan Howard snap his achilles last night on the last out of the Cards/Phillies game? It hasn't been made official but I am 90% sure he ruptured it.

Top Top

Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:14 pm

Master Masters Athlete

It's official. He did rupture it. Welcome to the club and see you in May.

Top Top

Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:36 pm

Fidel,

Welcome back! I see you ran a 100M the first week of April. How was it?

Top Top

Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:22 pm

Master Masters Athlete

It went well considering I was getting over a cold and had pulled my hamstring 3 weeks before. The achilles is fine. I ran 14.25 but was running mid 13's in practice without spikes. I started well but at 20-30m I had to decide whether to go with them. I decided not to. It's early and didn't want to aggravate the hammy. Here's the video:

http://www.runnerspace.com/gprofile.php ... o_id=63995

Thanks for asking. How's your season coming along? See you at the Hayward Classic?

Top Top