masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:31 am

Junior Masters Athlete

If you have had, or ever will have, a total knee replacement, don't let anyone tell you that you can't ever run again. You will be hard pressed to find a doctor who will tell you it's okay, but I can tell you that there is absolutely NO reason not to run on an artificial knee. My TKR was June 22. I am now four months post-op and running with no problems. Of course my doctor tells me not to, but I don't give a flying flapjack what he says. In his brochure there are testimonies from patients who have returned to playing basketball and tennis. How are those activities any less stressful than running? If anything they are more stressful. Running has been a part of my life for over 30 years and I will not give it up because a non-running doctor tells me to. My replacement will potentially last 30 years. So suppose I run and it only lasts 20? I will have spent 20 years doing what I love.

Top Top

Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:23 am

Junior Masters Athlete

I HAD A TKR IN 09. I ALSO HAD A THR IN 07. LIKE YOUR DOCTOR THEY BOTH TOLD ME NOT TO RUN. I WANT TO THROW THE JAVELIN AGAIN. I AM 63 NOW AND TRAIN OFTEN BUT I HAVE THOSE DR'S WORDS IN THE BACK OF MY MIND ABOUT THE POUNDING AFFECT FROM RUNNING. I LOVED TO RUN. I PLAYED MANY SPORTS AND NON BETTER THAN RUGBY. BUT I NEED TO LIGHTEN THE LOAD ON MY JOINTS AND I KNOW THAT WILL MAKE ME WHAT TO RUN AGAIN. I NEED TO DO SOME FOR THE JAVELIN. I AM 6'3", about 230 lbs. I WOULD LOVE TO GET DOWN TO ABOUT 210. JUST FINDING IT HARD AT MY AGE. TOO MANY DISTRACTIONS IN LIFE. LOL. I KNOW EXCUCSES. I NEED TO LOSE THE WEIGHT AND I KNOW I WILL RUN. HAVE YOU HEARD OF ANYONE RUNNING WITH HIP REPLACEMENTS? YOU CAN EMAIL ME AT,, john3324@hotmail.com,,THANKS..

Top Top