masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:17 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

From my high school track training (100m and 200m) - and an ignorant coach - I've had a problem with shin splints for a very long time.

Now I'm 46, I play squash twice a week. And in between I'd like to do hill sprints, sprints, etc. But any more running (of any sort) than twice a week and my shin splints start acting up.

Any advice other than "rest" is very welcome. I've tried serious calf, shin warm ups and it helps a little. But not enough.

Thanks for your input. Much appreciated.

Top Top

Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:29 am

Junior Masters Athlete

I READ THAT A COMBINATION OF ILL FITTING SHOES TO ARCH ISSUES TO TOE IN OR TOE OUT AND ROLLING OF THE FOOT UPON IMPACT WHEN RUNNING CAN LEAD TO SHIN SPLINTS. I ONLY SUFFERED ONCE WITH IT BUT IT LASTED MOST OF THE TRACK SEASON WHEN IN COLLEGE. ICE AND WRAPS DID NOTHING. PLACEBO AFFECT MAINLY I THINK. I WOULD LOOK AT YOUR ARCH, FLAT FEET CAN LEAD TO THIS AND YOUR SHOES. GOOD LUCK

Top Top

Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:56 am

Junior Masters Athlete

Thanks for the reply! Am trying to keep running hard to 2 days a week and then cycling (up hills - I dislike anything long distance!) What does one do with flat feet problems?

But would of course like to be rid of this problem!

If anyone else had ideas to add I'd be really happy to hear them.

Top Top

Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:51 am

Master Masters Athlete

I read about this movement as a solution to shin splints over 25 years ago, and had to search the web for a good description. From http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=284684 (for a full look at the topic) I found this:

Quote:
I had shin splints once--no fun. The way I got rid of them was to go to the gym and use a leg curl machine in reverse. Usually on a leg curl machine you lay face down on your stomach and hook your heels under the pads and curl the weight up to your butt working your hamstrings. Instead, sit on the machine facing the other way and hook your toes under the pads and just flex your ankles toward you which works the muscles of the shins. Start with the lowest weight and go for many reps. It has now been several years and I have had no problems since (I play at least once nearly every day, usually twice, on all surfaces) and have some amazing anterior tibialis muscles to show for it.

Hope that helps.

Greg

Top Top

Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:58 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

You may want to try foam rolling on your shins.
Foam rolling has eliminating almost all my aches and stiffness in this 57 year old sprinter.
For foot problems, roll your foot on a hard rubber ball.

Top Top

Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:07 pm

Master Masters Athlete

What exactly do you mean by shin splints? Shin splints cover all sorts of lower leg problems. Is it a later or medial pain? Upper or lower?

You mention you hate anything long distance? Is it because your shins flare up after running up to a certain distance? Or, do your shins feel sore the day after?

If the front of your shins tighten up during the run, look up Chronic Exertional Anterior Compartment Syndrome. I have this and I find that if I'm heavier, I get it more. Putting a wedge under your heel also helps.

Hope this helps.

Top Top

Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:13 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

I would suggest trying to incorporate some barefoot training. Even just as part of your warm-up and cool-down, it could be beneficial. It really helps to stretch out the calf and Achilles tendon. I have to train on a hard surface indoors, and always had shin problems. Since adding barefoot time, I haven't had any problems at all. You need to be careful though, and ease into it. Let your body slowly adapt to it. One last thing - some else suggested strengthening the calves. Do NOT do this. It will make your shin splints worse.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:33 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

Thanks Monsco. I'll try doing this. After a few years of trying things however I've found that massaging the painful areas has helped; as have some foot movement exercises.

So I'm coping better now. Although I'm not incorporating any longer distance running at all in my training routine.

Thanks for all the input so far!

Top Top

Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:42 pm

Master Masters Athlete

accipiter wrote:
You may want to try foam rolling on your shins.
Foam rolling has eliminating almost all my aches and stiffness in this 57 year old sprinter.
For foot problems, roll your foot on a hard rubber ball.

I was scrolling through some old post and found this. My feet started hurting a few days ago due to an increase in training and I was doing a little self massage and biofreeze to help. After seeing this I got out my trigger point ball and rolled on it under my feet. Much better now. I don't know why I didn't think to do this earlier. Thanks Accipiter.

Tony
coachtonyspringcoach.com

Top Top
  Profile WWW