masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:06 am

Master Masters Athlete

Has anyone got information on this subject-can weight training cause problems for people with heart problems?

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:02 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I am interested in this question from the point of view of having high blood pressure. I do, and it is well controlled with medication. But lately I've been in a very intense weight lifting regimen. Sometimes when I'm lifting my heart pounds so hard it feels like it's going to go through the roof of my mouth.

I asked my doctor yesterday if there was any concern about weight lifting with high blood pressure and she said NO. But I still wonder.

I don't know about heart problems but it's worth discussing.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:22 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Actually he told me a few months ago that I should only lift half my body weight! not much help for throwing. I talk to him again this week and he said as long as I felt ok I could go ahead and lift more (which I have been doing anyway)
I have had a heart attack a few years ago and also had a difribulator installed last summer so that are a few issue I have to contend with!

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:17 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

First of all, is your doctor a cardiologist? If not you may want to have one evaluate your lifting program. A stress test is also indicated and perhaps you might consider wearing a monitor during lifting.

My background: Multipule bypass three years ago (9.5 hours of open heart surgery) I use a monitor when I am lifting and working out so that I don't exceed the parameters that have been established for me. (pulse rate) and most importantly, don't hold your breath while lifting. It will send your blood pressure through the roof. And don't tell them when you are benching three-fifty as it gives them a heart attack.

Tim Edwards

Top Top

Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:43 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Thanks for the input-I see a cardiologist twice a year these days-I just had a stress test last week and I didn't hear from him so everything is ok. I was wondering about the blood pressure issue when lifting-I have a pulse monitor but that doesn't help with the pressure-it might be useful to know just how high it goes while pumping weight-
Sometimes I think you just have to carry on with the things that make life better and hope for the best.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:06 am

Senior Masters Athlete

I do cardiac rehab three times a week and gave this information to them for an opinion. They noted that you should probably find out what type of defibulator you have because, with a certain type, you can push your heart rate to the point of activation.

I think that the more important question here is, "when do we feel it is alright to ignore medical advice?"

I know that when I am lifting heavy that there is a possibility that I can drop dead at any time. I accept that risk (even though it's not very bright)

It's difficult to have lead a very active life and then have that lifestyle change overnigh because of health issues. When I do rehab, I usually push harder than they think I should but not as hard as I would like to.

This actually all comes down to personal choice and I would hope that we all would choose wisely.

Tim Edwards

Top Top

Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:27 am

Master Masters Athlete

I have only been shocked once so far and that was while practicing discus. For some reason that event brings on the VT-I think it has to do with the twisting. I was in the middle of a spin and it hit me. I dropped the disc and landed out of the front of the circle. Actually it wasn't all the bad but I didn't expect it-.
As far as the lifting is concerned I use a smith machine for everything and I make sure that the brackets are in place so if I get shocked I won't have the weight coming down on my chest to boot. So far lifting hasn't brought it on.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:00 am

Senior Masters Athlete

Wow! And all this time I didn't think that I could ever find someone who has a greater death wish than I have.

Top Top

Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:57 am

Master Masters Athlete

Actually I like to look at it as a life-wish. I do all this with my cardiologist's knowledge and grudging blessing.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:14 am

Junior Masters Athlete

When cardiac arrest occurs, there is an increase in EEG amplitude in the theta range, and then there is an increase against as the EEG becomes delta waves. This is followed by no EEG in 20 seconds after cardiac arrest. I guess that anoxic respiration would then begin and this would mean that the EEG would increase and neurons would die by over-exiting them-selves. Is it possible that there is any exit toxicity after cardiac arrest when there is a flat EEG?

Top Top