masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:44 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

Yesterday marked three weeks since the injury, the subject of this post. This diagnosis came from my insurance carrier and accompanied approval for 10 Physical Therapy sessions. It sounds worse than it seems. I fractured the "spinous process" of my cervical 7 vertebrae. X-rays showed a distinct break and gap between the vertebrae and the spinous process. Meds. were taken for 10 days and icing was used for 20 minutes nearly every waking hour. Icing continues daily as a palliative.

Yesterday's workout included:
2+ hours of fartlek mostly on dirt trails, light weightlifting with dumbells (Romanian deadlifts & squats), step-ups (box steps) & lunges, standing & single leg jumps, and core exercises.

Results: a little sore around C7 last evening that 20 minutes icing relieved. Fine this morning.

Top Top

Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:38 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

Update:
Physical Therapy started (2 sessions) and seems to tax the C7 vertebrae for any twisting (side to side) motion, front to back motions are fine. I've had two workouts with my coach (USATF level 2) this week and he seems pleased that I can do as much as I am. We've been doing a lot of lower body work, various lunges and core stuff.

Today he sent me to the track where I ran a few intervals at full speed and then did 2.5 hours of fartlek and hill sprints on dirt trails. I'm tired but feeling strong. Neck is doing well, so far. :D

Top Top

Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:30 am

Senior Masters Athlete

Good News came from the Dr.'s office on Friday after another set of x-rays were taken. This set of x-rays was five weeks after the spinal break and showed "non-union" of the fracture. The Dr. said there was nothing else to be done; I could continue with Physical Therapy or not and the non-union should have not effect. Also, that I could "forge ahead" with my training. :D

Essentially, the broken C7 is healed as much as it is going to and I don't have to worry about it. There is still a little ache after workouts but it seems to be mostly muscular; a shower followed by 20 minutes on the heating pad takes care if it. Not sure when I can begin high jumping (flopping) on the injury but I'll ask the Dr. this week and have a conversation with the PT'ist, and then with my coach.

Last week I was able to have 1-2.5 hour training sessions on five consecutive days. Two days of rest over the weekend did wonders and now this week I ramp up the weight training a notch. I am really looking forward to jumping again :!: :D :!:

Top Top

Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:55 am

Senior Masters Athlete

FLASH Update:

Dr. got back to me quickly yesterday and said I can resume high jumping at six weeks (from date of injury) if the neck feels okay. :shock:

Six weeks will be this Friday! :D

I'll probably give it another week, but can't believe my good fortune. From a broken spine to jumping again after 1+1/2 month :shock: :D :D

Top Top