masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:57 am

Senior Masters Athlete

Help, help. I know many of you have researched nutrition issues for training as a master's athlete.... can you summarize what you do, for us newbies? My eyes start glazing over when I read articles that talk about the specific nutrients and how they are chemically important, etc. I need brief instructions, like, "be sure to eat protein at every meal."

What supplements do you consider critical? What do you take?

I'm not a fan of meat or fish, and I assume I need to be. I like tofu, but I keep reading that processed soy may actually be a really bad item. ??

The only thing that I have ever noticed that's made a really dramatic difference in the way I feel, and---I stayed remarkably healthy through a winter of colds, flu etc. in my home with husband and kids (and I never got sick) was when I drank green smoothies daily, after reading Victoria Boutenko's "Green For Life."

Please share what you've learned. Thanks!

Top Top

Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:51 am

Senior Masters Athlete

Hi HJG.

Nutrition is not something I'm very knowledgeable about but I have done a bit of study on the matter for myself and my own training. One of the books I've read that made quite a difference for me was "Optimal Muscle Performance and Recovery" by E. Burke, Ph.D. There is quite a bit of detail that I won't relate here, but the take-away message that has been most helpful for me is to balance carbs. with protein in a 4:1 ratio.

Like you, I'm not a big fan of meat; there are times when my body says "Give me some" and I try to comply. But, on the whole I follow a pretty balanced diet with as little processed foods as possible. I'm fortunate to have a large veggie/herb garden, fruit trees, and berry bushes. Fresh foods always seem the most healthful. I also make my own muesli with rolled oats, various nuts, raisins, and dried fruits. Fruit-yogurt smoothies are a big hit in my household. Also, drink lots of water throughout the day; it is essential.

With others in the household it is necessary to meet their desires and get the good stuff you want too. My wife has some different food preferences and so we try to accommodate multiple tastes. I've no doubt you have experience here. Good luck and just try to keep a balanced diet.

Oh, I do take vitamin supplements, and glucosamine/chondroiten for the joints. Vitamins C and E in combination are supposed to be a great pair of anti-oxidants, something you may need more of if you are stressing your body with workouts.

Top Top

Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:37 am

Master Masters Athlete

Hi colleague highjump girl. My nutrition is simple, I am vegan, everything organic, much fruit, much vegetables, vitamin B12 as only supplement, love tofu and eleven world records, so it cannot be very bad nutrition.

Top Top
  Profile WWW