masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:39 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Turmeric is pretty safe to take, but might not give you a lot of bang for your buck. When I am really hurting (diagnosed and recommended to get a THR at the age of 35 - 2 yrs ago, haven't done it yet) I take 200-400mg of ibuprofin. Advil liquid gels rock. Moderate amount of exercise actually helps lubricate the joint and makes mine feel better. The problem is I get a little competitive and you know how we usually think - "more is better", which ain't always true. I know it is only topical, but something like Icy Hot (try roll on) or Biofreeze all around the area if you have trouble getting going with exercise. Medically it might not have much benefit, but the burning of the Icy Hot takes my mind off the hip stiffness. As far as sleeping, try putting a pillow under your knees and laying on your back, or on your side and adjust your hips in such a fashion that your legs form a 'figure 4'. Trial and error mostly, I guess. Also, don't the weather change!! (This week has been rough for me here in PA.) Hope something I suggested helps - I know how you feel - literally!

Top Top