masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:47 pm

Master Masters Athlete

From Fahey Supplement column Fitness RX for Women

Turmeric Reduces Arthritis Symptoms
Indian folk medicine praises the spice turmeric (Curcumin longa) for its effect on health and beauty. Scientists from the National Institutes of Health found that it reduced inflammation and prevented joint destruction in experimentally induced arthritis in rats. It works by blocking prostaglandin production (chemical that increases inflammation), stimulating the release of the stress hormone cortisol (hormone that reduces inflammation), and lowering levels of substance P in the nerve endings (neurochemical involved in pain sensations). Turmeric may also be effective if rubbed on sore joints as part of an anti-pain cream. Scientist from the West are taking notice of this “miracle spice” because it may help treat or prevent diseases ranging from insulin resistance, diabetes, cancer, cystic fibrosis, Alzheimer’s disease, and arthritis. Turmeric decreases insulin resistance and promotes normal blood sugar metabolism. The National Institute of Health is funding eight studies to investigate the effects of turmeric on a broad range of diseases. Scientists believe that turmeric may promote health by reducing inflammation and neutralizing free radicals – a kind of biological rust that impairs the immune system, breaks down DNA, and promotes aging.
(Arthritis Rheumatism 54:3452-3464, 2006)

Chico, CA 95929-0330
discusdoc@aol.com

Top Top

Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:22 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Does it have to be applied externally or can it be taken in a pill form for the same results?

I went to the doctor for knee pain, and he said I have the beginning of arthritis due to a tilted knee cap over the years.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:14 am

Junior Masters Athlete

Hi runandsew, I think the original post meant the turmeric can be taken internally. There are also turmeric powders, maybe even other kinds. There are supposedly many different turmeric benefits aside from arthritis relief.

Top Top

Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:05 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

What kind of amounts are we looking at here? Half teaspoon/day, whole teaspoon?

Body weight considerations?
I find my arthritis is worsening month by month.

Thanks

Top Top

Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:38 pm

Master Masters Athlete

A while back, while suffering from a ruptured, inflamed plantar fascia I tried turmeric. Its hard to assess efficacy in a single trial of herbals like this but I truly believe it helped some. I am not a big herbalist but I would certainly use it again for arthritic and facscial pain.

I used something called Optim-3 the Ultimate Enzyme Formula with Turmeric. Bought it at Hi-Health. used it for about 4 weeks. No side effects that I was aware of.

S. Wright, 46, Discus

Top Top

Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:58 am

Junior Masters Athlete

Thanks for taking time to help...

Top Top