masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:41 am

Master Masters Athlete

Dec 2 I managed to accomplish my third injury of the year taking a hard fall while doing a warmup sprint on an outdoor rubberized track. I hit very hard on the left side of my chest and mashed up my hand which got caught under me. The hand is coming along but my ribs are so painful! I can barely take a deep breath and coughing or sneezing is awful.

Yesterday I tried a jog which was impossible and turned into fast walking for half an hour. It made the pain worse (I know... Duh!). I was thinking maybe movement would help but now I don't think so.

My last chance to qualify for NSG is Sunday, any advice for miraculous healing? Failing that, any advice for how to manage the recovery intelligently? I'm know others have done the same thing on the track.

Thanks for any advice.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:15 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

Have hurt ribs several times over the years. Nothing helps other than rest. No offense, but if you're female, try to breath by pushing your stomach out rather than expanding your chest as many women do. Will hurt less.

Doc probably gave you codine? Read NSG's drug testing policy and make an informed decision. Time to heal in January. All it takes is a top 4 finish in a qualifying meet to make Nationals.

Top Top

Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:43 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Wanted to provide an update on my bruised ribs for anyone in the future that has this crummy injury. It's five+ weeks from my fall. My ribs still hurt if I move a certain way, but the area that hurts, the intensity and the frequency are much less. I sometimes forget they are injured.

The first three weeks were the worst, the recovery has really started in the last 2 weeks. I was unable to race at the Florida Senior Games. I tried to warm up for the 100 and after about 20 feet of sprinting the pain was too intense. (First time I have shed a few tears over scratching a race. The EMTs came running and I tried to explain I was just very disappointed!)

I am able now to run fairly hard, but still can't sprint. I hope to be able to in a few more weeks. I never used anything more than ice packs and really scheduled ibuprofen (every 4 hours). After 2 weeks I was able to do an exercise class with a few modifications.

The advice above about breathing with your stomach, not your chest was helpful!

The website I found that had the most information about rib injury was a mountain biking site. Those guys are crazy! :)

Top Top
  Profile WWW