masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:51 am

Journeyman Masters Athlete

If anyone has experience running with an acl brace, did you have problems with the brace striking the other leg or with the brace tearing open the skin on the braced leg? I had acl replacement in September. Now that I've been given permission to run at 50% effort I'm starting to get multiple abrasions on the braced leg from the brace straps and the brace itself. In addition, and I'm afraid more seriously, the brace which is on my right knee is hitting my left knee and calf on every turn. Has anyone else had to overcome this problem, and if so, any tips? Comments much appreciated!

Bill Pontius
m56 hurdles

Top Top

Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:52 am

Master Masters Athlete

Bill,

I'm running with two ACL-injured knees. Never needed resconstructive surgery, though. I just take 1500MG of glucosamine/chondroitin daily and soldier on.

My unprofessional advice: Throw away the brace and rehab without it. Don't run until your knee is strong enough to handle it. Work the knee extension, knee flexion machine at the guy. Do wall sits (30 seconds to start. working your way up to 60 seconds, repeated.) Do butt kicks to help flexibility. And if you can't, forget hurdling. The knee won't hold up.

The whole idea of ACL surgery is returning the knee joint to full strength. The brace may help avoid pain in the short term, but it prevents the range of movement and full-bodied recovery that's needed.

Best of luck. Stay in touch.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:46 am

Junior Masters Athlete

:idea: Try wearing elastic braces over you knees. They provide some support while allowing full range of motion. I use them myself. When your knees feel strong, you can pull them down over your calves and continue training.

Top Top

Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:01 am

Journeyman Masters Athlete

Thanks for the response and the elastic brace idea. I should probably update: when I first posted I was at 50% effort or so. Since then rehab has gone pretty well with me getting to about 90% effort by April. With some ups and downs, my general fitness has progressed but my sharpness hasn't. Every time I attempt to approach sprint speed I get set back. Early on it was by the knee itself, now its other "stuff" like the hamstring strain I picked up four weeks ago that has been difficult to heal. Anyway, I am running, thankfully, without the brace. I'm supposed to use it for hurdling, but I haven't been ready for hurdle work yet. The brace is less for general support than it is to prevent strong torque or hyperextension--which caused the ACL tear in the first place. It's been an "interesting" nine months since the surgery gettinng back in shape at age 57. Don't know what the rest of the summer holds, but I haven't given up on Orono quite yet. Hope to see everyone there!

Bill Pontius

Top Top