masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:46 am

Master Masters Athlete

I have a condition known as encapsulitis or Frozen Shoulder in my right shoulder. It's painful, reduces mobility, and prevents me from holding and putting the shot correctly. I'm unable to keep the shot under my chin with the result that it migrates outward when I glide and I'm throwing it, rather than putting it. That puts more strain on my shoulder, leading to more problems with mobility, etc. etc. It never ends. Anyone have any experience with this? What can I do to help besides stretching? Going to give ART a try...

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:22 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

This is one area in which I feel I have some expertise, having had this condition four times. I tried just about everything, except surgery which was recommended by two doctors. Once it was so bad that I had a nearly constant "Charley Horse" cramp for weeks. I could only sleep 20 minutes at a time and that was rarely and after a deep tissue massage.

How did I "cure" it? By trying to learn how to pole vault. The constant and vigorous stretching made the difference. The condition starts to return if I stop stretching. I can go without vaulting for months, but I must hang from a bar and pull on the arm, vigorously, at least a couple times a week.

You might start slowly with the stretches and gradually get more aggressive, as I am certainly not a doctor and I don't want you to hurt yourself. But, I would stretch several times a day to start with. It hurts and is hard to do. But, it will gradually get easier. None of the stretches and exercises given to me by physical therapists made a difference.

Top Top

Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:42 am

Senior Masters Athlete

lpalmer,

Nadine's suggestions for self help are good. Self help is always good because it is so readily available.

That being said, frozen shoulder can be treated well with deep tissue
massage, myofascial release, and or ART.

Self myofascial release can be done with foam rollers and or tennis
balls. Provided that you don't have bone spurs or severe tears, these
should help. An experienced sports massage therapist can help you
with this condition. You will need to gradually increase the range of
motion through the use of the above mentioned avenues. Then you
will need to start a rehab strengthening program.

Finally, you need to work on you technique to insure that you don't
put yourself back in this fix.

For more guidance you can e-mail me a csr_jr@yahoo.com.

Charlie Roll, LMT, CFT,
M60 shot put

Top Top

Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:36 pm

Journeyman Masters Athlete

on www.trackandfieldnews.com, under the forum "things not T & F", on october 6 mojo posted a thread asking for advise of other people who have this problem and attempts at solutions (so far nothing definitive, apparently). if you are reading this after quite a bit of time has passed, I suggest using the search button, "frozen shoulder"

Top Top

Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:03 am

Master Masters Athlete

Liz,

My wife, Chris, recently suffered a separated shoulder from discus-throwing, and a chiropractor popped it back in place. She feels fine now. Your problem might not be so easily dealt with, but a chiropractor might be worth visiting.

I'm skeptical of a lot of chiro claims (and its historical spiritual underpinnings of the its founder), but chiros do a lot of good for basic skeleton/spine stuff.

Many HMOs cover chiro visits of this type.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:51 am

Master Masters Athlete

Thank you for all the suggestions. Update: I have been going to a chiro and he has been very aggressive in stretching it as well as administering ART. My mobility, while not quite as good as my non-injured shoulder has greatly improved and as a result my shot put performance has also improved. I gained almost 3 feet in distance at the national meet in August simply due to better technique and mobility. Here's hoping that Boston 2008 will see the same trend! :)

Top Top
  Profile WWW