masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:06 am

Master Masters Athlete

I have been having a lot of pain on my shin. Based on my web searches I think it is "Medial tibial stress syndrome" or what we used to call shin splints. (Everything is a syndrome now).

Anyway - I think it is from training on an indoor track all winter, that is when it started to hurt. It seems to have good and bad days. Today I was very frustrated because my workout felt great but I still had to bail out early because of the shin pain.

I ran for a while without my orthotics, which was probably a mistake and I have put them back in. I am trying to keep it manageable with ibuprofen.

Beyond that, does anyone have stretching or exercise advice? It hurts right on the inner ridge of my shin bone, about 1/3 of the way up my leg. No stretch seems to really hit it. Running in my spikes seems to make it worse.

Thanks for any help.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:27 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Yes, I get it too, often mid way through the indoor season, and early in the outdoor season (like now). Traditionally it's thought of as a distance runner's problem - I've never found people very sympathetic to the concept of sprinters with shin splints!

These things work for me:

Ice regularly; sleeping with my feet slightly raised up; doing a larger percentage of my training in flats rather than spikes for a few weeks; massage alongside all of the above; constant work to keep calves stretched; keeping shin muscles well stretched - hard, but there are several options that work.

England

Top Top

Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:17 am

Journeyman Masters Athlete

I think Tom's advice is right on the mark. If, however, none of this brings significant improvement over a relatively short period (2 weeks?) you might considere having it x-rayed to rule out a stress fracture. In the meantime you might also consider some water workouts as an alternative mode.

Bill Pontius

Top Top

Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:33 am

Master Masters Athlete

UGH water workouts. I hope it doesn't get that bad.

I don't train much in spikes, only once a week on the day I do starts/accelerations. I think all training shoes are designed for distance runners. They have these big fat heels and I land on my midfoot all the time. I bought shoes with a cushioned forefoot but I still don't think it's adequate.

How about some "training shoes" for sprinters?

Thanks for the advice, guys. I just need another two (?) months then I can rest.....

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:22 am

Master Masters Athlete

This might sound funny but during days when I am not doing speed work I train on a Soccer field. I spend as much time as I can training there. It makes my ankles stronger and it gives me a much softer surface to train on. My old college coach won two woman's NCAA DII championships training that way. He also had very few injuries. I liked the idea so I decided to continue to traing that way.

Top Top