masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:53 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

Trying to make a comeback over 400m Hurdles after 15 years (pb 51.95). 8 months of good winter training (but track running only), but with increasing injury issues (especially hamstring) as I move into speedwork. Entered first race on Saturday over 400m flat and hamstring went after 150m. Terribly disappointed as I was flying and feeling great!

How sobering to find this website with a full forum dedicated to masters injuries. I'm guessing I am not the only poor soul feeling sorry for myself at not being able to just set foot on the track and hit the big times after such a long competitive layoff??? Any wise words of wisdom, beside the obvious need to do some more basic conditioning, esp. gym work to strengthen the old faithfuls again

Top Top

Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:57 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Do it like you always did, but: take more time for recovery, both rest after work-outs and even more important recovery of injuries. I have had several injuries because I thought muscles worked like long ago, but they didn't. It is a pity but it is as it is. Building up after injures takes double time...

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:01 pm

Master Masters Athlete

What type of workouts were you doing/ any speed work or just tempo runs on the track/ what type of strength tarining did you do?
Just need more time for recovery and maybe three speed/ tempo workouts per week vs 4-5 as in the day.

Top Top

Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:57 am

Junior Masters Athlete

I think the main problem is that I have just been doing track training (and some hill work) - but NO strength training whatsoever (i.e. no gym work at all).

Have been improving rapidly on the track but I don't think my hamstring can cope with the sudden change of gear, when upping the pace. Certainly not overtraining - at most only 3 sessions per week. And

Hobbled to my physio today and we decided that I need to go back to basics - getting both hamstrings equally strong again, etc. I imagine over the years they have become out of kilter again - I struggled with this issue when I was younger.

Top Top

Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:31 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Hi, how are your hams feeling? I've had a couple of bad upper ham injuries and have found that strength training plus consistent stretching helped me. Also went to a chiro for ART and that helped with rehab. Hopefully you are doing much better.

Top Top
  Profile WWW