masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:54 am

Journeyman Masters Athlete

I recently discovered that I had a herniated disc in my spine. Which I've had since the beginning of March. Something new I have never experienced before. The hernia pitched two nerves in my spine and literally turned off my left hip flexor, glut and ability to sprint. I had it treated with an epidural to the spine. I'd like to know if anyone has had a similar injury and how long it took them to recover. Any information would be appreciated.

Top Top
  Profile WWWYIM

Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:56 am

Master Masters Athlete

Yes. Mine followed major trauma playing field hockey. Five years after that, as a result of trying to get better too soon, I had a herniation at L4/5 This was more than 10 years ago now.

What the herniated material crashes into can be a bit of a lottery, as I understand it. Mine placed pressure on the femoral nerves, which in turn gave me really bad pain in my left knee. I had explorations for knee damage or a thrombosis before the cause was properly diagnosed. Poor mobility in my left hip flexor was a clue. I mention this, in case your knee starts to hurt.

I avoided injections. My doctor advised that all they would do was mask the pain, and that I'd probably do more damage while being unable to feel it. My treatment involved some quite long periods in traction, to allow the disc material to re-settle. This was at a time when I found it painful to stand or walk, let alone train and run. I was lucky to have a very good osteopath, and physiotherapist, who kept me moving within the safe and pain free range of motion I had, and gradually increased that range. I was on quite large doses of anti-inflamatory pills for a while.

Be philosophical. You have a serious piece of damage, but it will get better. Get the best advice you can - and take it. Remember that a lot of the pain you get will be symptomatic, and won't be cured by treating where it actually hurts (like my knee). There is masses on the internet to read about back management.

One day at a time. There's no upper age limit for Masters track and field, and we'll still be there when you're fit enough to come back!

England

Top Top

Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:35 pm

Tom thank you for sharing your experience. I am continuing Therapy even though I did get the epidural and I am feeling better. I am concerned for the long term affects though.

Top Top
  Profile WWWYIM

Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:53 am

Senior Masters Athlete

Tony,
I'm sorry to hear about your back injury. But I know with proper rehab and time you'll be scorching the track once again. Thanks for all of your insight and training tips for this "mediocre" 200M/400M runner from the Left Coast.

Recover quickly my friend....T.C.

Top Top

Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:12 pm

Thank you, I'm hoping it will be soon!

Top Top
  Profile WWWYIM

Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:49 am

Master Masters Athlete

I write for several fitness magazines and was given an assignment to write about the TRX suspension trainer. The company sent me one to try. It consists of a pair of parachute cords with a handle and foot strap at the bottom.

I have had SI joint problems on and off for the past two years. I started doing a suspended knee flexion exercise that has done wonders for my back. You get in a push-up position and place your feet in the two straps so that your legs are suspended from the floor. From here, you can do hip flexion and pelvic rotation exercises that really stress your core and hip muscles.

You could make one of these for about $2 using rope or webbing that you could purchase at a surplus store. The TRX unit is a bit expensive ($150). A company from Norway called RedCord makes a similar device.

Here are a couple of Youtube videos showing this form of training:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJqU4iQ2ISc
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qkp8Is_1N9c&feature=related

Chico, CA 95929-0330
discusdoc@aol.com

Top Top

Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:01 pm

Thank you Thomas I will give it a try. This injury has been incredibly debilitating. I have a high pain threshold a tried to train through it, not my brightest moment. I'll let you know if it helps.
Regards,
Tony

Top Top
  Profile WWWYIM