masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:17 pm

Journeyman Masters Athlete

The large size bag of frozen corn is a bargain at only $2.67. I am sitting on such a bag as I write this and reflect on my stupidity.

For years I have had it in the back of my mind to try my legs at masters track and field. Thinking about it but not doing much about it other than occasionally looking at race results. Recently my 8 yo daughter Jenna took up the sport and as I watched the workouts I got motivated to return to the sport of my youth. My academic training in exercise science coupled with my self-coached and somewhat successful cycling career would suggest that I know something about training and periodizing. That being the case it may seem surprising that my first time on the track I decided to do some "build-ups" which involve gradual acceleration to maximum speed and then a gradual slow down. That workout left me generally sore all over but I expected that and didn't mind.

Interestingly, on subsequent bike rides (cycling has been my sport for the last 25 years) my ischial tuberosity was really painful so that I had to find various ways to get comfortable on the seat. Now, it just so happens that on that ride I was trying a new saddle and attributed the discomfort to that saddle change. On my next trip to the track, however, I learned that the pain was really severe when running at high speed (which of course I did again). So, after this second work out, I realized I was injured and spent a month on naproxen and not running. Then last week I went to the track again and did some submaximal strides with very mild discomfort. I did not go to full speed. Even so, that workout, for reasons that are not clear to me now, convinced me that I was essentially recovered. JUST IN TIME FOR THE UTAH STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS!!

My initial (somewhat rational) thought had been to just stride through the 200 and get some sense for where my legs and fitness were. But as I watched the competition I got more and more fired up. During my warm up and stretching I felt really good too. Now, I should mention that the only other masters runner was a 60+ guy who wanted to break 31 in the 200. I should have taken advantage of this to stick with my plan and stride through easy. But I was fired up and I knew that the "all American" standard for my age group is 25.5. I think the last time I ran slower than that I was in jr. high. So, to increase my motivation, I went to the officials and asked if they would combine our final with the 17-18 year olds who only had a couple of participants as well. Well you can guess the rest. I used blocks for the first time since 1981 and ran at absolute maximum effort. It wasn't pretty. 27.07 and severe pain at ischial tuberosity (origin of hamstrings). On the drive home it became increasingly clear that I had a serious problem as I could barely sit. Ice is helping and I am back on naproxen. I am scheduled to see a physical therapist but couldn't get in till next Tuesday (gotta love modern health care). If any of you have experience with this type of injury and care to share successful rehab methods please do.

The positive spin on this story is that I now have an essentially untrained and badly injured baseline performance measure. I can only get better from there. I will spend as long as takes to get the hamstring fully rehabed and then start a CAREFULLY controlled training program with the aim of running fast next summer.

Cheers,

Jim

Top Top

Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:17 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Jimbo-

To the victor goes the sprains!

It is THE most difficult aspect of masters training - the discipline to train slowly and carefully at our age. I have had more injuries in this my first year of masters competition than I ever imagined I would. Most came from overtraining syndrome, failure to take the time to warm up and stretch and not taking the time to rest and recover. You will have to find your own way as your body dictates the pace but try to go slower than you would think. I have already missed months of training this year due to injuries. I feel pretty good now and Lord willing it will last through nationals.

Best of luck and run fast!

S, Wright, M45 Discus

Top Top

Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:01 am

Journeyman Masters Athlete

Jim, Thanks for the well written and darkly humorous tale that I suspect nearly all of us can identify with. After all my years of coaching and competing I would like to be able say I never make training decisions I regret. But, uh-uh. Right now I'm six weeks post ACL surgery that maybe wouldn't have been necessary had I made a different training decision. Oh well...now that I've had a left and right ACL repair in two years, my doc tells me he's only seen this in teenagers. So I guess track is keeping me young.

Anyway, your self-diagnosis of your pain in the butt seems sound, but have you dismissed sciatic problems which, in my case, express themselves best (worst) in the seated position?

Best of luck and thanks again for the story.
Bill
m58 hurdles

Top Top

Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:56 pm

Master Masters Athlete

phxdoc wrote:
It is THE most difficult aspect of masters training - the discipline to train slowly and carefully at our age. I have had more injuries in this my first year of masters competition than I ever imagined I would. Most came from overtraining syndrome, failure to take the time to warm up and stretch and not taking the time to rest and recover. You will have to find your own way as your body dictates the pace but try to go slower than you would think. I have already missed months of training this year due to injuries...

S, Wright, M45 Discus

Well stated, and very much agreed!

M45 PRs: 100: 12.04, 400: 54.83, 800: 2:23.5, 5K: 19:27

Top Top