masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:46 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

I am wondering what sort of exercise recommendations or nutritional advice one could give me concerning lactic acid build-up and fatigue. Are there any supplements - or are there specific foods - that aid in fighting against fatigue and that aid in fighting lactic acid buildup? I am a 33 y/old male, 6'2" and 225 lbs. I am in reasonable shape and have been working out consistently for the past 6 months (approx. 3-4 times per week). By working out I mean primarily weightlifting, and, secondarily, cardio by way of stair-running, track-running, and treadmill.

I do not get fatigued when I am lifting weights, but I do get muscle fatigue when I hit the treadmill or run/sprint at my local track and when running stairs. Very quickly my calves and shins cramp-up and I have to stop the exercise after only 10 -15 minutes. It is both weird and annoying.

Any advice/recommendations?

Top Top

Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:11 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I remember listening to Dr. Dean Edell on the radio years ago and he was talking about how bike racers used calcium tabs such as 'Tums' to counteract the effects of the lactic acid build up. He said that the calcium seemed to neutralize the lactic acid.

I tried doing this while running hood to coast where you have to run three legs of the relay in 24 hours, and then cram your self into a van in between legs. The lactic acid really builds up during the race. Taking tums seemed to me to help. Whether it was mental or physical I can't say for certain, but I did notice a difference.

I would say it is worth a try, and see if you notice a difference.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:44 am

Master Masters Athlete

Hi, T

Are you sure your problem is lactic-acid buildup? Cramps can occur for lots of reasons, including lack of water, potassium and sodium.

So try drinking more before and during workouts. And eat bananas and stuff.

Lots of advice on the Web:
http://www.medicinenet.com/muscle_cramps/article.htm

K E N

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:53 am

Senior Masters Athlete

Thanks run, and Mr. Stone.

No, I am not sure that it is lactic-acid build-up. My wife and I went running stairs yesterday and I was not faced with the issue at all, which was good.

I think you may be right Mr. Stone, regarding the lack of water, potassium, and sodium. I will heed your advice (and yours too 'run'), and I will check out that article.

Thanks again!

Cam

Top Top