masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:47 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

Has anyone been sidelined by gout? I thought my biggest injury enemy were overuse injuries or maybe a hammy strain but apparently I have gout and it's affecting my left big toe. I've been limping for about a month and my last real workout was on 11/23. Help?

Top Top

Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:04 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Go see your internist (or rheumatologist).

M45 PRs: 100: 12.04, 400: 54.83, 800: 2:23.5, 5K: 19:27

Top Top

Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:31 am

Master Masters Athlete

As a fellow gout sufferer, I echo what BMo says. An attack needn't last more than a few days and is usually treated with Indocin. Maintenance treatment is usually Allopurinol, a little pill I've been taking daily for more than 20 years and have been attack free virtually ever since I started taking it.

Top Top

Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:49 am

Junior Masters Athlete

Yes...I finally went to see a doctor. I was given a prescription for Indomethacin and I felt better the next day. My toe is still a bit inflammed but no more nighttime pain. I'm almost walking without a limp and have full range of motion in my toe.

Top Top

Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:00 am

Junior Masters Athlete

I CAME DOWN WITH A FORM OF GOUT IN THE SUMMER OF 08. IT IS CALLED PSEUDO GOUT. UNLIKE GOUT WHICH HAS CRYSTALS OF URIC ACID IN YOUR JOINTS ( MAINLY THE BIG TOE) P G AFFECTS ALL JOINTS AND THE CULPRIT IS CALCIUM CRYSTALS. I MEAN TO TELL YOU THIS PUT ME DOWN HARD. I AM ON MEDS AND HAVE IT KIND OF UNDER CONTROL BUT I CAN FEEL MY BODY BECOMING STIFF AFTER WORK OUTS, PLAYING GOLF ETC. IT TOOK DOCTORS SEVERAL WEEKS TO FIND THIS. I WALKED INTO THE HOSPITAL WITH HEADACHE AND VERY HI TEMPERATURE. 2 DAYS LATER I COULD NOT BE TOUCHED OR GET OUT OF BED OR BARELY MOVE WITHOUT EXTREME PAIN. IT WAS AWFUL. I WILL ALWAYS HAVE THIS TOO. I HAVE A KNEE AND HIP REPLACEMENT AS WELL,,,ALL THIS IN A 3 YEAR PERIOD. I STARTED TO TRAIN AGAIN TO THROW THE JAVELIN. IT IS VERY HARD SINCE DOCTORS TELL ME NOT TO RUN, SO I AM AFRAID TO DAMAGE MY JOINTS. I CHEAT SOME THOUGH. LOSING WEIGHT IS HARD TOO. I AM 6'3',230LBS. I WANT TO BE AT 210 LBS. THEN THE STRESS WILL BE EASIER ON ME. I AM 63 YRS OLD TOO. I KEEP HYDRATED , OVERLY SO, AND THIS REALLY HELPS ALONG WITH THE MEDS. I WANT TO RUN SO BAD TOO... BUT I KEEP HEARING THE DOCTOR TELLING NO,,,,WHEN I AM TOLD NO I GENERALLY DO THE OPPOSITE,,LOL. MAYBE THAT IS WHY I HAVE JOINT ISSUES,,LOL.

Top Top

Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:37 am

Master Masters Athlete

Hi Doc, don't you have lower case?

Top Top
  Profile WWW