masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:30 pm

Master Masters Athlete

On Feb 7 at an indoor meet in Gainesville I felt a snap on the bottom of my left foot coming off hurdle 4. As there was only one hurdle left I finished the race but was in quite a bit of pain so I immediately iced and made 3 hour drive home. By the time I got home the bottom of my foot was black and blue and after 2 days a doctors visit and mri confirmed a side to side rupture/tear across the arch portion of the plantar facia and lengthwise separtion and tears also. He described it as "blown up" I have a follow up on March 2 but was wondering if anyone out there has dealt with this injury. I have been told I am down for at least 4 to 6 weeks and that down time and no impact activity is all I can do. My arch has fallen and the doctor has me wearing orthotics but I wonder if the changes in my foot will change my running strength etc. I know many of us suffer from plantar faciitis but has anyone dealt with a complete tear of the tendon and what did you do to rehab and how did it affect future competition. I am bummed out as I was approaching the Indoor Nationals in better shape than ever and now I am hobbling around with one high arch and one flat foot.

Top Top

Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:39 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I haven't had that injury but I hope you recover quickly. I've never been very patient while waiting to heal but I think you'll have to just wait this one out for awhile. I really hate when I'm in great shape then an injury takes away the chance to compete, but that's the way it goes sometime. Hang in there and use the time to heal.

Top Top

Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:13 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Precisely the same happened to me early April last year. Was on crutches for a week and limped for a month -it was bad. Eventually healed enough by July to throw on again. I though getting back in 3 months or so was fast for me. It hurt so bad initially, I thought I was out the season....

There is a lot on this topic over the past 12-18 months on this board-you should take a look.

Prescription orthotics (not the Dr. Scholls kind) are a must-forever. I never walk in bare feet or in sandals anymore. I use orthotics in all my shoes-even my throwing shoes. I warm up/stretch feet/achilles and calves ridiculously long before running or throwing. At any sign of soreness I stop and ice and give plenty of time to recover.

The good news is once you heal, any pain you were having beforehand should be gone now that the point of inflammation/tension has given way. You really should not have foot or ankle instability-as long as you have the right shoe and orthotic on!

Get well.

S Wright
M46, Discus

Top Top

Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:37 pm

Journeyman Masters Athlete

I am just coming back from this kinda of injury that I got back in November, I was on crutches for 2 weeks. I am wearing a boot to bed every night and that has seemed to help me in my recover, I wasn't able to run for good 6 weeks and then started off slowly. I hope you recover soon.

Top Top
  Profile YIM

Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:47 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Jimmy, I am so sorry to hear of your injury. I have one going on as well--I broke one toe and dislocated another due to a fall during hurdle practice in the middle of January. You have to be patient and allow time to take care of it. I've never had your injury but I'm sure research on the internet could help you out with more info. What I did to keep my sanity was to concentrate on the things I could do, not the things I couldn't do. I have done a lot of work with weights (machines and free weights), core work, and upper body work. I'm also able to do the elliptical for cardio as long as I pedal backwards to avoid stress on the toes. Since you're in FL, can you investigate swimming for cardio? Would that be possible with your injury? Use this time to get as strong and flexible as you can.

I hope that you heal up soon. Give it time and don't come back before you're healed...you don't want to reinjure yourself. It's hard to have patience but that's all we can do right now. Best wishes to you!

Liz Palmer

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:23 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Last week the doctor said I could start jogging on monday but I could not wait and jogged a mile today (sat) for the first time since blowing out my plantar fascia in gainesville on feb 7. It was torture to watch the indoor results this year as I could not participate but I am so proud of the participation level that we achieved at Nationals. I also found that advice came to me from all over as to how to deal with my injury and I thank everyone especially Olympic decathlete Tom Pappas who took the time out to email me. He has blown out both feet and assured me that time was the key and lots of marble pick ups with the toes. I am planning a slow return to sprinting and hurdling with lots of weight work and golf course running but hope to compete several times before august. Thanks again for all the personal emails and I will see you all on the track....orthotics and all! 8)

Top Top