masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:33 am

Master Masters Athlete

After my hip surgery in July I have been doing therapy and slowly getting back on the track, but am not in competitive shape yet and don't know if I will ever return to my pre-surgery form, as the arthritic condition continues to worsen. I registered for Nationals anyway, and with 3 weeks to go until Winston Salem I am thinking this might be my last competition if I can make it, but I am making it a last minute decision before I decide whether to make the trip. I had an arthroscopic hip resurface/clean up, labrum trim up and repair, and since have had two cortisone injections and one hyalgan injection. I just want to "fire off" to the gun one more time and see all my friends before making a decision to hang my spikes up! I hope I make it, but if not, Godspeed to all who compete and love the sport! Thanks for some great memories!

Top Top

Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:09 pm

Journeyman Masters Athlete

Very sorry to hear about your slow recovery Mr. Broun. I have followed your exemplary hurdle career for years. I recently sustained some injuries during our big windstorm out here in California. The prognosis of returning to form after last Monday's surgery is not great. However, I promise to stay after it if you do the same. Although there is a small age difference between the two of us, I would really like to jump in a hurdles race with you. Good luck and God speed.

Top Top

Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:43 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Hey Thanks Roger, I hope we can jump a few together also! I pray you recover fully from your injuries too! I am still thinking about going to Winston-Salem, if only to make a cameo and see the competition, but I have been getting some 80% straigtaways in every other day to see if the hip will take it! So far the pain level is bearable but I feel the hip grind and pop!
No hurdles though, as I will just have to rely on muscle memory if I jump in the pre-lims and see if it holds out! This getting old is not for sissies! Keep trying and keep moving!

Top Top

Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:58 am

Congratulations on your performance at Nationals. I hope that it is not the "swan song" and that we will, indeed, meet up some time in the future. If it was, then you really went out on a high note.

Top Top

Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:27 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

Gents,

I miss seeing both of you hurdle. Hope you both heal completely and I'd enjoy healing enough to join you on the track. The idea of a "Swan Song" is difficult for those of us who love the excitement and camaraderie of competition. Masters track has been a great chance to meet a group of people that stays more or less together through the years. We should all be happy to have stayed healthy for so long.

Brian McKinley

Top Top

Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:22 am

Hello Brian. Your words are spot on. The three of us have, indeed, been fortunate to compete in this challenging event for as long as we have. While I remained focused on returning, I am also grateful for the opportunity to compete with such fine athletes as the two of you. For the record Brian, the Eugene Nationals that we competed in years ago was and will probably remain the most memorable hurdle race(s) of my career.....and that includes two national championships. What a group!!

Top Top